There are a million ways we could answer that question. Athens is famous for great music, delicious food, and the Georgia Bulldogs. There is something here for everyone of all ages and all walks of life to enjoy. Athens is the place where creative individuals and innovative entrepreneurs come to thrive. The University of Georgia, Athens’ Economic Development Department, and several of our other local partner organizations help provide the resources anyone needs to succeed in their business endeavors.
- "Best College Towns for Startups," ranked #8, Athens CEO, September 20, 2019
- "College Football's Greatest College Towns," ranked #2, Sports Illustrated, August 12, 2019
- “Best Places to Retire 2018” (fourth consecutiveyear), Forbes, April 23, 2018
- “Greenest City” Award, Insurify, April 2018
- “50 Best (smaller) College Towns with the Best Music Scenes,” GoodDeedSeats.com, February 2018
- “America’s Coolest Southern Towns,” Jetsetter, Sept. 27, 2017
Whether you’re visiting for the weekend, the next four years, or the rest of your life, we welcome you to the Classic City and all it has to offer.