One Book Athens
What is One Books Athens?
One Book Athens, is an annual, community-wide, shared discussion of a common book. (With a new book to be chosen each year.) Other communities have hosted this effort, but it is coming to Athens for the first time!
The goal is to foster change through engagement, empathy and understanding by sharing stories to make Athens a better place for all residents. Free virtual book discussions and community events will be offered this spring and summer.
Everyone in Athens is invited to participate, from middle school students to adults!
Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You, by Ibram X. Kendi and Jason Reynolds. This award-winning, unflinching, and occasionally controversial "remix" of Kendi's book, Stamped from the Beginning, is known for being an accessible, engaging, and educational exploration of how race has been used to define many aspects of American life. It is a thought-provoking read for people of all ages, from middle schoolers to grandparents.
Having conversations about issues like race is hard. Where do we start? What if I say the wrong thing? Will someone judge me? Starting with a text that helps illuminate issues can inspire deeper thought, and prompt a starting point for productive conversations. Kendi's scholarship on race and racism has elevated him as a foremost national expert within the past two years, and Jason Reynolds' highly approachable writing style has won multiple awards.
Who is Involved?
- The Athens-Clarke County Library
- Avid Bookshop
- Books for Keeps
- The Jeannette Rankin Scholarship Foundation
- Athens-Clarke County Government
- Athens Area Chamber of Commerce
- East Athens Development Corporation
- Chess & Community
- Athens, GA Branch of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH)
- Family Connection-Communities in Schools
- Rabbit Box Storytelling
- and other partners!
Pick up your book HERE:
- Athens-Clarke County Library, 2025 Baxter Street, Athens, 706-613-3650
- Athens Area Chamber of Commerce, 246 West Hancock Avenue, Athens, Georgia 30601
- Avid Bookshop, 1662 S Lumpkin St, Athens, 706-850-2843
- Shane Dekle State Farm
Check back here for upcoming events!
Beloved Conversation 1 (Section 1)
- Thursday, April 29, 6:00-7:30 p.m. EST
- Come join us for a virtual Beloved Community Dialogue, free and open to the public.
- Sign up here HERE
- We'll be discussing Part I of the book on April 29th from 6-7:30 PM. You do not have to have read the book to attend the dialogue.